Role of Home Guards & Civil Defence
The following revised roles are assigned to the Home Guards. These instructions have been reiterated from to time.
- Serve as an auxiliary to the police and assist in maintaining internal security.
- Assist the community in any kind of emergency - in air raid, a fire, a flood, an epidemic and so on.
- Organise functional units to provide essential services, such as, motor transport, pioneer and engineer groups, fire brigades, nursing and first aid, operation of water and power supply installations.
- Promote communal harmony and give assistance to the administration in protecting weaker sections of the Society
- Participate in socio-economic and welfare activities, such as, adult education, health and hygiene, development schemes and such other tasks as are deemed useful.
ROLE OF HOME GUARDS IN CIVIL DEFENCE DUTIES
Category I and I-A towns are to have full scale Civil Defence measures, wherein the under mentioned Civil Defence services have to be manned by Urban Home Guards :
- Incident control and Reconnaissance parties (to the extent possible).
- Rescue parties.
- Trailer pump parties.
- Mobile Canteens.
- Part-time instructors.